-
1326
The first recorded mention
The first recorded mention of a manor house being built at Tyttenhanger, by Abbott Richard.
-
1411
The second manor house
The second manor house is built on the site by Abbott John de la Moot (and his unnamed successor) after the first house had been demolished for being too close to the main road to London.
-
1427
Deer park
A deer park is established at the property by Abbott William.
-
1543
King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII grants the manor and park to Nicholas Briscowe, and then in 1547 to Sir Thomas Pope. Previously Henry VIII had stayed at Tyttenhanger for two weeks to escape an epidemic of “sweating sickness” in London.
-
1559
The manor house
The manor house passes to the Blounts.
-
1654
The medieval manor
The medieval manor house is demolished.
-
1655
The current mansion
The current mansion house is built on the same location by Henry Blount with the architect Peter Mills - parts of the basement are believed to date back to the previous manor house.
-
1757
The Yorke family
The mansion house passes to the Yorke family (the Earls of Hardwick).
-
1834
The Earls of Caledon
The mansion house passes to the Earls of Caledon whose family line, including Lady Jane Van Koughnet, daughter of the 4th Earl of Caledon, occupy the house until the 1970’s.
-
1973
John Bonnington
The mansion house is purchased by the renowned architect John Bonnington and much of the property is sensitively converted into offices.
-
2018
Barhale Properties Buy Tyttenhanger
The mansion house is purchased by Barhale Properties. Barhale’s Founder and Chairman, Dennis Curran states, “Our desire is to see Tyttenhanger Park sympathetically restored to its previous splendour whilst also securing its sustainable future for generations to come.”
